The Advent of Excellence

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Freedom of Solitude

A short while ago, I was morbidly afraid of being alone. In constant fear of being assaulted or robbed, scared of being alone. But since I've been living in Baltimore, I have had a spark of freedom of solitude in my soul. I walk in the hoods and the ghettos with my head held high and not a worry in the world, because I am confident in my abilities and my capacity to survive.

People are puzzled at how easily I head out on my own and walk through a terrible neighborhood while holding hands and making out with a guy, they admire it and admit that they underestimate me. The truth is that I have been underestimating myself. I am much more capable than I have myself credit for.

I now know that I do not need people as badly as I once thought.  I am not as weak as I once believed. In fact, I am much stronger than the people I previously thought superior to myself. I can survive anything and I can do anything I put my mind to. 

This freedom is refreshing indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment