The Advent of Excellence

Monday, January 17, 2011

Devil in The Mirror

On my quest for inner peace I realized somethings about the Human race. We all have a built in darkside. Every single one of us have urges or impulses that we ignore to make us feel superior to the rest of the animals. Death and destruction is in our blood. But so is love and compassion. 

I myself have had very dark desires. Desires of vengeance, death and dominance. I thought that I was a evil monster for having such desires, but then I realized something. I felt guilt for my hunger for power and vindication. 

That told me that I had some good in my heart. That good is not the absence of evil, it's one's good nature becoming dominant over your dark heart. At one time, I thought my darkside gave me strength. That being ruthless and cutthroat would serve me well in life.

 I believed that my good nature and kind heart was weakness, and I had to purge it to be successful in life. I all to often saw(In my current view) the peo ple around me who nurtured their dark heart be successful in many things. I tried it their way and learned very quickly why I was dead wrong about them being successful. 

They were hollow inside. They had money, sex, popularity and status, but they still didn't have the thing that counted most. Happiness. They had money, but no true prosperity. They had sex, but no love. They had popularity and status, but no respect. These people who I had conflicting feeling of hatred, jealousy and envy were really the ones who we all should grieve for. I may not be the happiest camper around, but at least I have something to live for beside shallow temporary gains. 

We all have devils in our mirrors, but some of us see it for the devil that it is. The less fortunate mistakenly see their salvation instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment